Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Strange times

I'm having a few problems:

First, I am addicted to the internet and seeking treatment. Seriously, I do not need to check the news that often, nor browse eBay for antique rings, scan craigslist for future jobs, read film gossip about sundance and other film festivals that I fear I will never get into, spend hours booking travel or thinking about it, search paris vendu for 80 square meter dream homes to buy in the 5th...this has got to stop. I have new rules in place and will be systematically reducing my internet junkie habits. Starting now.

Second, time seems to be passing too fast (in terms of when I will shoot my movie), too slow (in terms of when my boyfriend will be back and town), and distances seem to be loosing shape too- I feel a million miles from the U.S. when I learn our Supreme Court is now stocked with pro-lifers, but I feel Australia is a step away from Paris as my friends are visiting next week. Time-space is all out of whack. Can anyone fix it?

and now, your favorite section...Reports from the French bureaucracy:
I finally went in to enroll in French social security (cool, I get this number that'll last me forever apparently) and the lady said all my papers were fine except I was missing my "authorization de travail" (which was not on the list of required documents) and to come back. So, I went back the next day, to the VERY SAME lady, with my correct document. Now apparently the photocopy of my visa in my passport was too faint and she couldn't make out the dates. "C'est impossible!" I will need to get new passport/visa all worked out before registering, this will take several months...but wait, will this scrap of a photocopy of my visa that I have in my wallet do for you? It is minutely more legible...why, yes this is fine! Amazing. French people basically decide very arbitrarily when they want to be nice to you. When they are in a "yes" mood everything is quite good and all the doors open beautifully, when they are in a "no" mood it is very hard to even find the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home