Wednesday, December 07, 2005

sabotage and princesses

I've had a very long and stressful week- and it's only Wednesday!
Today in film class I met with my prof and he had some good suggestions for my script, and some harsh criticism- which I am open to. I think he is quite a wise old man...but also I have been working on this forever and he doesn't know me at all and my professors back home are more aware of where I am at. The themes seem to be shifting from foreigness into image and representation. I'm not sure what I want really, and think image/representation may be a clearer theme. It's very hard to say what makes one french if you want to avoid berets and eiffel towers and baguettes and wine (though these are all so totally french!).

Anyway, that's not the juicy stuff. The prof continues to be encouraging and even said that some students shoot in super16mm and blowup to 35mm. On school funds! Nothing is certain yet though...
After my meeting with the professor a girl in the class came up to me and said she had read my script and wanted to join my crew. How cool. She's going to help my already great assistant director. In France assistant director seems to me a lot more than yelling "roll sound", much more like a producer role....
But thennnnn, the lovely new girl pulls me aside and tells me she heard that some of the other students in the class are upset that this "masters" student is hanging out in their "license" (undergrad) class, possibly funnelling their class resources (money) and these students are going to complain in the program office. In Paris it is strange because I am neither officially a graduate or undergraduate student- just a non-diploma exchange student.
Well, the other members of by crew assurred me that these other students can just buzz off and if the prof supports my script, then that's that. Still, I'm really nervous because I can just taste the possibility and would love to do it this way...

Aside from that I've been auditioning lots of pretty princesses. All the children and moms have been exceptionally nice, but I am shuffling from one to the next and not finding the right thing. Where is the introspective, curious, wide-eyed starlette I want? Who are all these 6 year olds who know more about fashion than I do? (most as it turns out).

blog shout outs to:
gabs! maman took me to the best chocolate chaud.
sis! Older, bolder, lovelier than ever
p! Come home from Oz! and happy birthday. hope you got good socks.
my love, see you in 44 hours.

i think i'll do a weekly blog shout out to check who's reading!
oh i just saw "L'enfant" tonight- pretty good film.

1 Comments:

Blogger jmatarrese said...

I'm getting more and more excited about your film the more I read about it.

Maybe you can get the Princess of Monaco to be in the film also.....see what you can do.

See you reel (get it) soon

-Joe

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home