Wednesday, November 23, 2005

cineminera

Ah, what a day. In class this morning I finally got a wonderful girl to commit as my Assistant Director, another as a head PA. Then I went in the afternoon to the Cinemateque Francaise, where I've been seeing lots of movies. Today I finally went to their museum part. If you go, don't go on a weekend! It was lovely and calm today. The Renior/Renior exhibit was okay, the problem was that it was too bright for the films and too dark for the paintings; still, one got a sense of how Pierre-August passed down his wonderful eye to his son Jean. But the real treasure of the cinemateque was the permant exhibit on the history of cinema. I could spend hours there! It shows how cinema really has its roots in magic and magic shows. One can see and play with all sorts of "magic lanterns", spin old-fashioned flip books, look through lighted paintings and see all the orignal materials- Muybridge, Meliers, Lumiere....it's truly a heavenly place.

To end with I went in to their Mediateque. Filmlovers paradise...One can sit in a carosel and watch 1000's of movies, or read any of the film criticism magazines from around the world, or sort through stacks of books on theory and practice. All this cinemaphilia has me wiped out and feeling feverish...which is why I'm off to a movie, Woody Allen's latest, "Match Point".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home