Tuesday, January 03, 2006

highs and lows

First and foremost, I didn't mean to snub some blog readers by claiming others were number one. I love all my readers and am quite amazed and honored anyone would read this.

Now to my thoughts on highs and lows. Filmmaking is so frustrating. I had my first film, "Nest" rejected from yet another film festival. blah blah blah. I know it is just a first effort, and it's far from perfect, but when I watch it I am not ashamed and I even dare say I like it sometimes and it makes me sad that the only people who've seen it are a handful at my school and other school film festivals and the students in my English class. I just ge4t depressed from these rejections cause it feels so impossible to get your work out there and I know that there are thousands of other filmmakers like me feeling the same way.

Then, according to the website of the Berlinale Talent Campus, they've notified all their acceptances and if I haven't heard anything yet I'm on the waiting list...which is like, so incredibly vague, because that could be a 20 person wait list or it could be a 2000 person wait list. I really, really want to go. But I also know that it's just one little opportunity and others will come my way. Struggle and rejection is supposed to make us stronger, right? or just plain down.

On a high note, I did have a lovely new years eve. French people are so funny and different. My boy and I went to a fun little dinner party. Appetizers (oysters, foie gras, shrimp, you know, the usual 20-something graduate student finger food...) were served around 10, lots of champagne was drunk (real French bubbly), and then not until 1:30 am did the big meal come out- turkey, chicken, duck, etcetera...We tried to make it to another party but the metro was taking forever and we gave up around 3:30 am. Needless to say, I went to bed full, happy and a wee bit tipsy....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home