Sunday, September 18, 2005

la vie parisienne

Things feel like they are rapidly changing here, as I adjust a little more everyday to la vie parisienne... I started having dreams in (poorly spoken) French. Yesterday I moved out of student housing and into the most charming (but very temporary) apartment in the 12th. I have a view of gray rooftops and, for the moment, blue sky. I discovered the bois de vincennes and went running around the lake there which reminded me of my beloved Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis.

After my first night alone in my own place I feel the desperate urgency to be a filmmaker. This is why I am here. Paris inspires me everyday. There are a million cinematic details everywhere I look. The tiles on the roofs, the signs on the bakery, the children tearing down the sidewalk on their red tricycles...I think I'll try and sneak out on a photo shoot this afternoon after I finish my class paper.

I went to a party with a wonderful group of frenchies, mostly graduate students and scientists. It was pretty shockingly different than the American dinner parties I'm used to. Tons of extremely boisterous singing, extremely crass sexual humor, and extremely high quality food were served up. Followed by a bar that reminded me of some weird late night TNT dubbed german movie of the week...replete with drunken dutch bartenders, stripping repressed young bankers, and infinite repeats of the worst dance music of all time (a mix of the grease soundtrack, MC Hammer, and 60's french tunes) played in completely random order off one of those tv-style mini-jukeboxes. The night was weird, fun and (unfortunately) very smoky. I doubt the california no-smoking bars will ever make it here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Updated ShowContexts and Request.LogonUserIdentity
In ASP.NET you have to juggle with a number of identities, e.g. The account of the worker process The account of the client The Thread identity The outcome of IIS authentication This can be confusing, e.g. when ...
Hi, I was just surfing and found you, wow cool article and site! If you are interested in adult fun, go see my site ##uk phone sex## Adult fun site. It isn’t for prudes or the under 18's.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home