Tuesday, March 29, 2005

scripting struggles

Writing this film is turning out to be more painful than anticipated. I had my first real script workshop in class today. My thesis class has 6 people in it, plus the professor. I read my 11 page script draft outloud.
The reaction:
Professor: Well, what genre would you say it is?
me: Drama
Professor: but really, what specific genre is it? You should really know.
me: okay, it's drama.
student 1: Where did all that stuff about language and politics go that you talked to me about 1 month ago?
me: I didn't put it in the script?
student 2: If I see another script with a mcdonalds reference in it I'll barf.
student 3: I just dont' understand what you're trying to say. What are you trying to say?
student 4: You just need to put this aside for a while- it's too complex.
student 5: you should just throw out this whole beginning (general class agreement on this point)
professor: next script...oh finally, this one is good....

So, I'm a bit low about this whole process. I feel like I have to explain every detail of my script to the grand jury- aka "thesis committe".

The only really good thing to come out of today is I have soem new energy to work on my script, maybe make radical changes, much bigger than the tiny tweaks I have been doing for the past few weeks.

I have 2 months to write a great script and thesis proposal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home