Monday, June 19, 2006

Going in circles

Editing is perhaps the hardest part so far. I know I haven't been blogging that much, I think it is because I already spend the entire day in front of a computer and am trying to avoid them outside of the editing room. Saint Denis, where our ancient is located, is dirty and hot. Twice this past week the water has been down at the school- causing bathroom incidents beyond disgust. There are cigarette butts and graffiti and teenagers bugging you to use my cell phone and smoke a joint with them and it is not a very conducive environment to contemplation. So, I try to find solutions. If this was a flatbed I know I'd be more limited but I am cursed with infinite choice and yet the footage doesn't seem to have any interest in telling the story I want it to tell.
I've been constantly reworking the structure with my editor and she is getting frustrated with me. So we've been arguing a lot which is even less conducive to filmmaking.

We showed a cut last week to around 8 people. Not one of them understood it- really, most of them said they were totally lost. So we went back to the more linear structure that is in the script- but it feels flat and disjointed and boring. We've got lots of different little post-it notes of all the different scenes and we keep shifting them and trying to figure out if changing the whole order can make any bit of sense. At this point, I'm wondering if it really has to make sense or should I just give up and go for pure madness.

The schedule is also driving me mad- is it worth it to try to get everything done in the next 2.5 weeks or accept I have to put things on hold for 3 months this summer? very very very tired and frustrated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home