Monday, June 05, 2006

dont' forget me!

I know I've been terrible- not blogging for a whole month...
Well, the film was on a little post-production pause....but is now fully on play.
I showed my professor my rushes. He was extremely dissapointed, he said I "must break it apart and destroy everything" in editing. Which is what I've now set out to do, I agree with him that it is too clean, too sterile, not magical. I'm not sure how to overcome this..maybe getting phoebe tooke out here for some optical printing (are you listening??)
I have an Avid at my school. It is archaic and running the version that I believe came out shortly after the last ice age. But it appears (knock on wood) very stable, and we have a private, but very very very unglamorous, little room all to ourselves for three weeks. I've found a wonderful student to be my editor and I'm extremely happy I'm not in this alone. She's nice and easy going and so far, four days into synching up clips, so good.
Finally today we reached the "starting" point- it took since Thursday just to get all the media imported and subclipped and the sound in synch with the picture.
An important lesson for all future filmmakers: Make your script person take copious notes, make sure your slate is legible in every shot, and if you can afford a time-code capable sound recorder, get it.
I've learned a bit the hard way on these few points.

Well, for the next three weeks I'm digging in to this editing mess- then comes sound- and then hopefully getting something finished before I head home for the summer. This is looking less and less likely. I think I'm going to have to delay my official graduation until the fall. I guess that's okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home